Cocoa is a fruit known worldwide for being the main ingredient of chocolate. However, this fruit is not only useful at a gastronomic level, but also has a large number of properties and benefits for the health of our body.
In this article, we will tell you a little about cocoa, formerly known as “the food of the gods”.
What is cocoa?
It is the fruit of the “cacaotero” tree, from the lands of America. Its tree, Theobroma cacao , has been cultivated since the beginning of the population of indigenous tribes such as the Incas, Mayans, and Aztecs.
The cocoa fruit was widely used by indigenous tribes to treat body conditions, as well as a type of currency for the acquisition and exchange of other products. In Europe, cocoa and its properties were known in the fifteenth century, after the discovery and colonization of American lands.
The main use of this fruit is the preparation of food, including chocolate. Its exquisite smell and taste is the delight of adults and children, regardless of gender.
Cocoa is an excellent food that provides energy to the body, highly recommended for those who carry out some type of sports activity or physical effort. It is a fruit that contains vitamins A and B, calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, caffeine, carbohydrates, antioxidants and a high level of fats (especially saturated, and to a lesser extent monounsaturated or polyunsaturated), which They are essential for the body.
Main uses of cocoa
In the area of gastronomy, cocoa is mainly used in the production of chocolate, which results from the crushing process of its fruits. This fruit is processed, sweetened and mixed with milk to obtain a wide variety of chocolates.
Chocolates are widely used in the preparation of all kinds of drinks (such as liqueurs, cold milkshakes or hot drinks, for example). It is also common to find chocolate in the form of filled chocolates or in desserts.
in natural medicine
Hundreds of scientific studies have been developed to evaluate the properties and benefits of cocoa. Therefore, in natural medicine, cocoa is used to cure or relieve tiredness, physical fatigue, extreme thinness, anemia, kidney problems, intestinal problems and even fever.
In cosmetology and beauty treatments
The butter produced by cocoa is an excellent ally to treat dry skin, cellulite, stretch marks and even in hair masks. In the cosmetology and beauty market, we find hundreds of cocoa-based products, both for skin and hair.
in sexual performance
Thanks to its components such as phenylethylamine and serotonin, which act as neurotransmitter agents responsible for stimulating endorphins in the brain, cocoa produces a feeling of well-being, pleasure and excitement.
Best way to consume cocoa
Its consumption is recommended in liquid form either in a drink dissolved in milk or water, and preferably hot, ideally one to two ounces 2 to 3 times a week.
- Cocoa helps to increase the production of endorphins, contributing to a better mood of the person, which allows combating physical or mental stress.
- It is an excellent antioxidant. Cocoa contains flavonoids, a powerful antioxidant that favors the cardiovascular system in the prevention of diseases.
- The antioxidants, together with the oleic acid contained in cocoa, protect the body’s cells against free radical attacks, delaying aging.
- Helps prevent diabetes, as well as cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. It is also effective in preventing different types of cancer (such as liver, gastric or colon, for example).
- The intake between 50% or 60% of cocoa helps to minimize the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Because it is a product with properties similar to caffeine, it helps the production of urine, making it an excellent diuretic.
- It is recommended for people with depression, since its anandamide content acts as an excellent regulator to combat bad moods.
Remember to consult with your doctor before starting any treatment with natural products.